MC Basics and Tips
Grand Entrance Examples
Rekordbox is the DJ Software we manage and play music out of. The next two videos will give you a great insight on how to upload prepare your music before your events.
• The job of a Wedding MC has changed drastically over the last decade. In previous years the MC had the spotlight and leaned on taking away focus from the couple. He/She would be telling jokes and using the microphone a lot. These days it is important to make sure the couple is the spotlight. You use the microphone when needed (Formal dances, announcements, introductions, getting people from point a to b, making sure all the guests are focused on the important moments.
• We let the music do the talking when getting people onto the dance floor. Back in the day many DJ/MCs didn’t know how to mix so they used their voice to encourage people. Now we let our music get people dancing all night long!
• This video is great and really show that your success is in the prep you do before the event.
Grand Entrance MC Notes:
• This is the main part of being a wedding MC for Diamond Entertainment.
• Other than announcing the grand entrance your other MC duties are to announce formal dances, dinner, give other general announcements, and to announce that the dance floor is open.
Video #1 Notes:
• Great view of couples coming out.
• Notice how his voice is crystal clear over the music.
• The MC could have been more effective in getting everyone excited for the bride and groom. I would have said something like… “Alright everyone, let’s get on our feet and make some noise for our newlyweds ______ and ______ _______.”
• I would have given the couples more opportunity to walk out. Felt rushed in my opinion.
• We typically only announce first names of everyone other than the newlyweds. Rarely will we do only first names for the couple as well.
• Typically we just announce the bridal party and the newlyweds. Some weddings the couple is the only group announced.
Video #2 Notes:
• Do not be afraid to get everyone excited for the grand entrance.
• We typically play a song for the bridal party and then another song for the bride and groom.
• Don’t say “let us welcome for the first time,” it is really there second or third time they have been announced with their new last name.
Video #3 Notes:
• There should be much more applause and excitement when the grand entrance is happening.
• His energy feels a little fake and you should announce like you are speaking to someone face to face.
• Try not to hold out names (“Coreyyyyyyyy”).
• Great example of how he had the music and names prepped and in front of him to cut down of the chance of any mistakes.
5 Tips to Help You Become a Better MC
• We have to stay behind the booth when doing announcements because we are also mixing music.
• DO NOT TELL JOKES. You are a MC not a stand up comedian.
• This is a great video that talks about good modern MCing and how not to do it.
• Always spell names out phonetically.
• You will have everyone names printed out on a clipboard or ipad.
• The #1 answer when we ask “What are your requirements for your wedding DJ?” is we don’t want a cheesy DJ that talks way too much.
How To Be The Perfect Wedding MC
• He hit the nail on the head when it comes to the 3 groups you need to focus on. The couple is always the most important.
• Being effective with your words is key.
• Always be your authentic self. You are training to be a part of the team because you have a great personality.
• We “trigger” many moments during the reception when we MC (Grand entrance, first dance, dinner, dancing, etc).
• Try not to repeat common phrases more than 1 to 2 times during a wedding. (“Let’s put our hands together,” “Let’s give a warm round of applause,” etc.)